Fin de Siècle in the Trajectories of Russian Modernity: Novelty and Repetition
The article is devoted to the discussion on fin de siècle in the context of the trajectory the modernity took in the twentieth century Russia. The author follows C. Castoriadis’ definition of modernity through double imaginary of autonomy and rational mastery as well as P. Wagner’s characterisation of modernity as experience and interpretation. He demonstrates how in Russian constellation of modernity autonomy came to be understood as a secondary to rational mastery and how collective autonomy started to dominate over individual one. For this purpose, he discusses details of N. Federov’s “Philosophy of the Common Task” as well as peculiarities of the development of Russian society of the beginning of the last century. Then M. Khomyakov turns to the contemporary fin de siècle and discusses what he sees as a major crisis of modernity in general and democracy, in particular. Thus, the article interprets fin de siècles as inherent to the modernity crises, the main elements of which are revising, reinterpretation, reformulation and renegotiation of the modernity’s fundamentals.
- Arnason, J. P. (1989). The Imaginary Constitution of Modernity. In Giovanni Busino et al. (eds.) Autonomie et autotrasformation de la sociètè. La philosophie militante de Cornelius Castoriadis. Genève: Librairie Droz, 323–337.
- Benjamin, W. (1969). Theses on the Philosophy of History. In Illuminations. New York: Schocken Books, 253–264.
- Berdyaev, N. (1989). Filosofiya Svobody. Smysl Tvorchestva. Moscow: Pravda.
- Berdyaev, N. (1990). Istoki i Smysl Russkogo Communisma. Moscow: Nauka.
- Carleheden, М. (2010). The imaginary signification of modernity: A Re-Examination. In Distinktion: Scandinavian Journal of Social Theory, No. 21, 51–70.
- Castoriadis, Cornelius (1997). World in Fragments: Writings on Politics, Society, Psychoanalysis, and the Imagination. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Eagleton, T. (1995). “The flight to the Real”. In Ledger, S. and McCracken, S. (eds.) Cultural Politics at the Fin de Siècle. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 11–21.
- Fedorov, N. F. (1906). Philosophia obshego dela [Philosophy of the common task]. T. 1. Verniy.
- Fedorov, N. F. (1982). Sochineniya [Writings]. Moscow: Mysl’.
- Fukuyama, F. (1992). The End of History and the Last Man. New York: Free Press.
- Gillespie, M. A. (2008). The Theological Origins of Modernity. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Huntington, S. P. (1996). The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World-Order. New York: Simon and Schluster.
- Khomyakov, A. (1900). “Mneniye inostrantsev ob Rossii”. In Polnoye Sobraniye Sochineniy, T. 1. Moscow, 3–30.
- Kozhevnikov, V. A. (1908). Nikolai Fedorovich Fedorov. Opyt izlozheniya ego ucheniya po izdannym I neizdannym proizvedeniyam, perepiske I lichnym besedam [The experience of explaining his teaching according to published and unpublished works, correspondence and personal conversations]. Chast’ 1. Moscow: Izdatelstvo Moskovskogo Imperatorskogo Universiteta.
- Lenin, V. (1969). Krakh Vtorogo Internatsionala [The crash of Second International]. In Polnoye Sobraniye Sochineniy, T. 26. Moscow: Izdatelstvo Politicheskoy Literatury, 209–265.
- Lukyanov, S. (1916). “O Vl. S. Solovieve v ego molodiye gody” [On Vl. S. Soloviev in his early years]. Kn. I. Petrograd: Senatskaya tipographia.
- Marshall, G. (2007). “Introduction”. In G. Marshall (ed.) The Campridge Companion to the Fin De Siècle. Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1–12.
- Peterson, N. P. (1912). N. F. Fedorov I ego knoga “Filospfia obschego del v protivopolozhnost ucheniyu L. N. Tolstogo ‘o neprotivlenii’ I drugim ideyam nashego vremeni” [N.F. Fedorov and his book “The Philosophy of the Common Task” as opposed to the teaching of L. N. Tolstoy’s on “non-resistance” and other ideas of our time]. Verny: Tipografia Semirechenskogo obl. pravleniya.
- Showalter, E. (1990). Sexual Anarchy: Gender and Culture at the Fin de Siècle. New York: Viking.
- Shpet, G. (2008). Ocherk razvitiya russkoi philosophii [The essay on the development of Russian philosophy]. Chast’ I. Moscow: ROSSPEN.
- Soloviev, V. (1914). “Pismo k redaktoru ‘Voprosov Philosophii i Psichologii’ N. Y. Grotu (1890)” [The letter to the editor of the “Issues in Philosophy and Psychology”]. In Sobraniye Sochineniy Vladimira Sergeevicha Solovieva, 2 izd., T. 6. Saint Petersburg: Tovarishestvo Prosvesheniye, 269–274.
- Wagner, P. (1994). A Sociology of Modernity: Liberty and Discipline. London and New York: Routledge.
- Wagner, P. (2008). Modernity as Experience and Interpretation: A New Sociology of Modernity. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Wagner, P. (2016). Progress. A Reconstruction. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Young, G. M. (2012). The Russian Cosmists: The Esoteric Futurism of Nikolai Fedorov and His Followers. Oxford: Oxford University Press.