Comparative Study of Russian and Slovenian Managers Using Subjective Criteria to Control Their Professional Performance
In this article, the first stage results of a Russian-Slovenian cross-cultural study are presented. The main purpose of the study is to describe key structural factors in the subjective criteria of performance monitoring used by Russian and Slovenian managers. The study, which comprises 3 steps, is of a comparative nature. In the first stage, differences between the monitoring systems of Russian and Slovenian managers are investigated. In terms of the theoretical background of the study, the Model of subjective criteria used by managers to control their performance efficiency (G. Myroliubova and F. Ismagilova) was applied. In order to collect empirical data, a Questionnaire was developed and implemented on the basis of that Model. The study discovered that the measurable and weakly measurable monitoring criteria used by Russians and Slovenians are similar. Significant differences were identified: (a) between the mean values of measurable criteria for Russian (56.11) and Slovenian (60.39) samples; (b) within the structure of measurable criteria for the performance monitoring of Russian and Slovenian managers; (c) between the mean values of all measurable criteria (natural, binary, relational and conformity criteria) in the Russian and Slovenian samples.
- Benjamin A. J., Riggio R. E., Mayes B. T. (1996). Reliability and factor structure of Budner’s Tolerance for Ambiguity Scale. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 3. T. 11, 625–632.
- Boštjančič E., Ismagilova F. S. (2017). Psychological background of trust between Slovenian and Russian business partners. Conference proceedings, International scientific conference EMAN 2017, Ljubljana / Belgrade, 669–675. [COBISS.SI-ID 65205090]. Retrieved from: http://www.eman-conference.org/uploads/6/5/4/7/65475757/zbornik_radova_eman_2017_final_2.pdf
- Cameron K. S., Whetten, D. A. (1983). Organizational Effectiveness: A Comparison of Multiple Models. New York: Academic Press.
- Drucker P. F. (2011). The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done. New York: HarperCollins Publishers Inc.
- England G. W., Dhingra O. P., Agarwal N. C. (1974). The Manager and the Man: A Cross-Cultural Study of Personal Values. Kent, OH: Kent University Press.
- Farmer R., Richman B. (1965). Comparative Management and Economic Progress. Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin Inc.
- Gallie, D. (2011). Production Regimes, Employee Job Control and Skill Development. LLAKES Research Paper 31. Retrieved from: http://www.llakes.ac.uk/sites/default/files/31.%20Gallie.pdf
- Herman J. L., Stevens M. J., Bird A., Mendenhall M., Oddou G. (2010). The tolerance for ambiguity scale: Towards a more refined measure for international management research. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 1. T. 34, 58–65.
- Hofstede, G. (1980). Culture’s Consequences. International Differences in Work Related Values. Beverly Hills, CA: SAGE Publishing.
- Klimov E. A. (1998). Vvedenie v pshologiu truda [Introduction to the psychology of labor]. Moscow: Culture and Sport. UNITI.
- Ismagilova F. S., Mirolyubova G. S. (2012a). Psychological research of the problem of criterial support of managers’ professional activity. Izvestiya of Ural Federal University, 2 (103), 100–108.
- Ismagilova, F. S. & Miroliubova G. S. (2012b). Subjective Preferences of Criterion-Oriented Support of Professional Activities of Managers. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 5, 359–368.
- Ismagilova, F., Mirolyubova, G. (2013). Russian Manager’s Criteria of Effectiveness: Managerial Work Experience and Its Consequences. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 86, 441–447. Retrieved from: http://www.psy.msu.ru/science/psyrussia/volumes_en.html
- Ismagilova, F., Mirolyubova, G., Malysheva, L., Mugatabarova, E. (2014). How to apply the model of managerial system of subjective criteria of efficiency during managers’ life-long learning. [EDULEARN14]. Proceedings, 7335–7341. Retrieved from: http://library.iated.org/
- Ismagilova, F., Mirolyubova G. (2015). What do Russian managers want to add to life-long learning of their aged subordinates? ICERI2015 Proceedings, 8421–8429. Retrieved from: http://library.iated.org/view/ISMAGILOVA2015WHA
- Matthews, J. R. (2007). Evaluation and measurement of library services. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.
- Negandhi A. R., Prasad S. B. (1971). Comparative Management. New York: Appleton Century-Crofts.
- Ronen, S. (1986). Comparative and Multinational Management. New York: Wiley.