Conceptual Framework of Teacher Prestige and Well-Being: Regional Aspects
The paper presents a comparative analysis of sociological data concerning teachers working in the Sverdlovsk region (Russian Federation). The data were collected in 1989, 2016, and 2021. The surveys investigated social ideas and stereotypes reflecting public attitudes towards teachers in Russia and teaching communities. The research is based on a hybrid multi-paradigm methodology comprising systemic, structural, functional, generalized, temporal, and procedural descriptions. We used the data obtained from questionnaires surveying teachers in 1989 (n = 1183 participants), 2016 (n = 529 participants), 2021 (n = 412 participants). Data processing was carried out with the help of the VORTEX software application.
The comparative data analysis demonstrated that, while the proportion of female teachers and teachers of older age groups has increased over three decades, this has been accompanied by an increase in the education level. It is significant that the motivation for selecting the teaching profession and overall levels of satisfaction remained the same. However, at the same time, assessments of the possibility to advance through a teaching career and professional well-being have noticeably deteriorated. Among key factors affecting teachers’ satisfaction are physical conditions, low wages, lack of time for private life and the stress of endless school reforms. All of this has led to a decline in the prestige of the teaching profession along with the formation of a negative image. The paper describes efforts required to ensure the enhancement of the teaching profession in the Russian Federation.
- Alghamdi, K. A. (2021). Pre-service teachers' reflections on teaching images in Saudi media. Teacher Development, 25(2), 155–177. https://doi.org/10.1080/13664530.2021.1876160
- Berger, P. L., & Luckman, T. (1991). The social construction of reality: A treatise in the sociology of knowledge. Penguin Books. (Originally published 1966)
- Bi, L., & Fang, X. (2020). Images of teachers in contemporary Chinese children’s literature. Children’s Literature in Education, 51(3), 179–191. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10583-018-9378-2
- Bodnar, A. M., Gushchina, A. E., Maklakova, G. E., Model', I. M., Panova, S. G., Trishkina, I. S., Zimbovskii, G. M., & Ivachevskaia, V. N. (1990). Sotsial'no-psikhologicheskoe samochuvstvie uchitelia: vremia peremen [Socio-psychological well-being of the teacher: time for change]. Institute for Philosophy and Law of the Ural Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
- Bovina, I. B. (2010). Teoriia sotsial'nykh predstavlenii: istoriia i sovremennoe razvitie [Theory of social representations: History and the actual development]. Sotsiologicheskiy Zhurnal = Sociological Journal, 3, 5–20. https://www.jour.fnisc.ru/index.php/socjour/article/view/1155
- Cheek, J. R., Bradley, L. G., Parr, G., & Lan, W. (2003). Using music therapy techniques to treat teacher burnout. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 25(3), 204–217. https://doi.org/10.17744/mehc.25.3.ghneva55qw5xa3wm
- Dorman, J. (2003). Testing a model for teacher burnout. Australian Journal of Education & Developmental Psychology, 3, 35–47. https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.596.8184&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Durkheim, E. (1982). The rules of sociological method (S. Lukes, Ed.; W. D. Halls, Trans.). The Free Press.
- Fedorov, A., Ilaltdinova, E., & Frolova, S. (2020). Teachers' professional well-being: state and factors. Universal Journal of Educational Research, 8(5), 1698–1710. https://doi.org/10.13189/ujer.2020.080506
- Friedman, I. A., & Farber, B. A. (1992). Professional self-concept as a predictor of teacher burnout. The Journal of Educational Research, 86(1), 28–35. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220671.1992.9941824
- Gang, L. (2021). An empirical study on the job burnout feeling of physical education teachers in colleges and universities in Sichuan province. In Proceeding of IPEC 2021: 2021 2nd Asia-Pacific Conference on Image Processing, Electronics and Computers, Dalian, China, April 14–16, 2021 (pp. 841–845). Association for Computing Machinery. https://doi.org/10.1145/3452446.3452647
- Gasparishvili, A. T., Kruzhalin, V. I., & Krukhmaleva, O. V. (2013). Moskovskie uchitelia o reformirovanii sovremennoi shkoly [Moscow teachers on reforming the modern school]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies], 9, 57–63. https://www.isras.ru/files/File/Socis/2013_9/Gasparishvili.pdf
- Green, F., Felstead, A., Gallie D., & Inanc, H. (2016). Job-related well-being through the great recession. Journal of Happiness Studies, 17(1), 389–411. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9600-x
- Iakob, A. E., Arkhipov, E. K., Belyshev, A. A., Bolikov, V. Iu., Geiko, V. A., Dudarenko, V. N., Kozhemiako, A. P., Koriukov, A. A., Matveev, M. N., & Tushin, S. G. (2017). Itogi sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiia munitsipal'nogo obrazovaniia “gorod Ekaterinburg” v 2016 godu [The results of the socio-economic development of the municipality “city of Yekaterinburg” for 2016]. Department of Economics, Yekaterinburg City Administration. https://xn--80acgfbsl1azdqr.xn--p1ai/file/6637f55f2c5348a05ac93ab7ac699d3c
- Kuzmenkova, O. V. (2005). Struktura i soderzhanie predstavlenii uchitelei o svoei professional'noi roli [Structure and contents of teachers` representations about professional role]. Vestnik of the Orenburg State University, 10, 55–58. http://vestnik.osu.ru/doc/1233/article/2121/lang/1
- Maslach, C., & Jackson, S. E. (1981). The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 2(2), 99–113. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- Ministerstvo obshchego i professional'nogo obrazovaniia Sverdlovskoi oblasti. (2017). Doklad o sostoianii sistemy obrazovaniia Sverdlovskoi oblasti v 2016 godu [Report on the state of the education system of the Sverdlovsk region in 2016]. https://minobraz.egov66.ru/site/section?id=716
- Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation. (2021). Svedeniia po forme federal'nogo statisticheskogo nabliudeniia № OO-1 “Svedeniia ob organizatsii, osushchestvliaiushchei obrazovatel'nuiu deiatel'nost' po obrazovatel'nym programmam nachal'nogo obshchego, osnovnogo obshchego, srednego obshchego obrazovaniia” na nachalo 2021/22 uchebnogo goda po sub"ektam Rossiiskoi Federatsii [Information on the form of federal statistical observation No. OO-1 “Information on the organization carrying out educational activities in educational programs of primary general, basic general, secondary general education” at the beginning of the 2021/22 academic year for the constituent entities of the Russian Federation] [Data set]. https://docs.edu.gov.ru/document/id/2982
- Moscovici, S. (1993). The invention of society: Psychological explanations for social phenomena (W. D. Halls, Trans.). Polity Press. (Originally published in French 1988)
- Orlova, L. A. (1998). O sotsial'nom samochuvstvii uchitelei Moskovskoi oblasti [On the social well-being of teachers in the Moscow region]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies], 8, 88–94.
- Qu, L. J., & Shao, J. (2020). The relationship among emotional labor and job satisfaction and job burnout of University Teachers: a meta-analysis base done empirical studies at home and abroad since the 21st century. Higher education research in Chongqing, 11(3), 1–11. http://kns.cnki.net/kcms/detail/50.1028.g4.20201023.1009.002.html
- Rubina, L. Ia. (1996). Professional'noe i sotsial'noe samochuvstvie uchitelei [Professional and social well-being of teachers]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies], 6, 63–75.
- Rusalinova, A. A. (1994). Sotsial'noe samochuvstvie cheloveka v sovremennom mire kak nauchnaia problema [Social well-being of a person in the modern world as a scientific problem]. Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University, 6(1), 49–60.
- Schwab, R. L. & Iwanicki, E. F. (1982). Who are our burned-out teachers? Educational Research Quarterly, 7(2), 5–16.
- Shafranov-Kutsev, G. F. (2016). Mesto uchitel'stva v stratifikatsionnoi strukture sovremennogo rossiiskogo obshchestva [The place of teachers in the socio-stratification structure of contemporary Russian society]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies], 9, 65–72.
- Sobkin, V. S. & Adamchuk, D. V. (2016). O professional'nom samochuvstvii uchitelia [On the professional health of the teacher]. Pedagogy, 6, 60–71.
- Solovieva, T. S. (2016). Novaia sistema oplaty truda v otsenkakh pedagogov (na primere Vologodskoi oblasti) [The new remuneration scheme according to teachers’ estimates (case study of Vologda region)]. Sotsiologiia obrazovaniia, 4, 28–41.
- Sverdlovskaia oblast'. Spisok gorodov [Sverdlovsk region. List of cities]. (n.d.). Geogoroda.ru. https://geogoroda.ru/region/sverdlovskaya-oblast
- Szentes, E., Horváth, Z.-I. & Harangus, K. (2020). The role of humour in teaching: Teacher training students’ image of teacher and views on teaching. Acta Universitatis Sapientiae, Philologica, 12(2), 84–98. https://doi.org/10.2478/ausp-2020-0014
- Toshchenko, Zh. T. & Kharchenko, S. V. (1996). Sotsial'noe nastroenie [Social mood]. Academia.
- Wang, Ch. (2020). Research on the effect of humanized management and self-efficacy on teachers’ job burnout. Heilongjiang Science, 11(17), 126–127.
- Ziyatdinova, F. G. (2010). Sotsial'noe polozhenie uchitelei: ozhidaniia i realii [Teachers' social position: expectations and realities]. Sotsiologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological Studies], 10, 100–107.