Words, River, Changes: Writing Lewiston, Maine
This essay describes and reflects on the central river of a small post-industrial city in Maine (USA), interweaving the author’s experience of place with the voices of three local poets, as a way of considering how the city and its river have been represented—as pastoral, abject, beautiful, and hybrid.
- Abject Art. (n.d.). Tate. https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/a/abject-art
- Androscoggin river. (2022, April 9). In Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Androscoggin_River&oldid=1081817187
- Archibald, D., & Brattin, J. (Eds.). (2015). Dickens and Massachusetts: The lasting legacy of the Commonwealth visits. University of Massachusetts Press.
- Auburn. (n.d.). RootsWeb. http://sites.rootsweb.com/~meandros/auburn.htm
- Auchincloss, K. (1970, January 26). The ravaged environment. Newsweek.
- Bass, A. (2018). One goal: A coach, a team and the game that brought a divided town together. Hachette.
- Bauman, J. F. (2012). Lewiston textile mills and waterpower system historic district. SAH Archipedia. https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/ME-01-001-0029
- Belluck, P. (2002, October 15). Mixed welcome as Somalis settle in a Maine City. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/15/us/mixed-welcome-assomalis-settle-in-a-maine-city.html
- Bernard Lown Peace Bridge. (n.d.). HistoricBridges.org. https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=maine/south/
- Chute, R. (1997). Androscoggin too. The Pejepscot poems. Nightshade Press.
- Cotton town: Maine’s economic connections to slavery. (2022). Maine Maritime Museum. https://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/exhibition/as-yetuntitled-in-collaboration-with-bowdoin-college/
- Emerson, R. W. (1844). Essays: Second Series. American Transcendentalist Web. https://archive.vcu.edu/english/engweb/transcendentalism/authors/emerson/essays/poet.html
- Emerson, R. W. (1899). Early poems of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Thomas Y. Crowell & Co. https://emersoncentral.com/texts/poems/the-rhodora/
- EPA—United States Environment Protection Agency. (2002, August 14). Success in EPA conducted targeted brownfields assessmants, Lewiston, ME. https://archive.epa.gov/region1/brownfields/web/html/lewiston_rr_park.html
- Ferguson, C., & Keefe, J. (2019, September 26). There's a push to transform Maine's poorest downtown. Here's what you need to know. Bangor Daily News. https://www.bangordailynews.com/2019/09/26/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-thepush-to-transform-maines-poorest-downtown/
- Ferguson, C., & Keefe, J. (2021, May 20). Lewiston wins competitive $30 million federal frant to transform housing. Bangor Daily News. https://www.bangordailynews.com/2021/05/20/news/central-maine/lewiston-wins-competitive-30-million-federalgrant-to-transform-housing/
- Fernandez, R., & Marvinney, R. (Eds.). (2020). Maine. Scientific and Technical Subcommittee (STS) of the Maine Climate Council (MCC). https://www.maine.gov/future/sites/maine.gov.future/files/inline-files/GOPIF_STS_REPORT_092320.pdf
- foreal. (2005, January 17). The Lew. In The Urban Dictionary. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Lew
- Frenette, Y. (1986). Understanding the French Canadians of Lewiston, 1960–1900: An alternate framework. Maine History, 25, 198–226. https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/mainehistoryjournal/vol25/iss4/2
- Gay, R., & Wehrenberg, R. (2014). River. Monster House Press.
- Hartley, M. (1987a). Androscoggin. In G. R. Scott (Ed.), The Collected poems of Marsden Hartley, 1904–1943 (pp. 261–268). Black Sparrow Press.
- Hartley, M. (1987b). Lewiston is a pleasant place. In G. R. Scott (Ed.), The Collected poems of Marsden Hartley, 1904–1943 (pp. 254–261). Black Sparrow Press.
- Hartley, M. (1987c). West Pitch at the falls. In G. R. Scott (Ed.), The Collected poems of Marsden Hartley, 1904–1943 (pp. 232–238). Black Sparrow Press.
- Hillard, M. (2021). Shredding paper: The rise and fall of Maine’s mighty paper industry. Cornell University Press.
- Hodgkin, D. I. (n.d.). A brief history of Lewiston. Lewiston, ME—Official Website. https://www.lewistonmaine.gov/421/History-of-Lewiston
- Judd, R. W. (1990). The coming of the Clean Waters Acts in Maine, 1941–1961. Environmental History Review, 14(3), 50–73. https://doi.org/10.2307/3984726
- LaFlamme, D. (2014, July 14). Dirty Lew. Lewiston Sun Journal. https://www.sunjournal.com/2010/07/14/dirty-lew/
- Langenbach, R. (1981). From building to architecture. The emergence of Victorian Lowell. Harvard Architecture Review, 2, 90–105. https://www.conservationtech.com/RL%27s%20resume&%20pub%27s/RL-publications/Milltowns/1981-LOWELL(Harv-Arch-Rev).htm
- Lecompte, N. (2003). Alnôbak: A story of indigenous people in Androscoggin County. Androscoggin Historical Society.
- Lewis, J. (1993). The Maine that never was: The construction of popular myth in regional culture. The Journal of American Culture, 16(2), 91–100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1542-734X.1993.00091.x
- Lewiston wins $30 million Choice Neighborhoods Grant. (2021, May 25). Healthy Neighborhoods. https://www.growingourtreestreets.com/blog-posts/2021/5/25/lewiston-wins-30-million-choice-neighborhoods-grant
- Lippard, L. (1997). The lure of the local: Senses of place in a multicentered society. New Press.
- Pelletier, S. (1989). Immigrant Dream and other poems. Soleil Press.
- Richards, M. (2017). Not a Catholic nation: The Ku Klux Klan confronts New England in the 1920s. University of Massachusetts Press.
- Saddlemire, C. (2009). Neighbor by neighbor: Mobilizing an invisible community in Lewiston, ME [Video]. Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/39576889
- Saddlemire, C. (2011). Kids of the world [Video]. Vimeo. https://vimeo.com/34272306
- United States Census Bureau. (n.d.). Lewiston city, Maine. Quick facts. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/lewistoncitymaine
- Visible community. (2008). The people's downtown master plan. http://www.lewistonmaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/802/2008---The-Peoples-Downtown-Master-Plan---The-Vis?bidId=
- Wabanaki place names of Western Maine. (n.d.). Androscoggin River Portal. http://androscoggin.bates.edu/home/culture-history/wabanki-place-names-ofwestern-maine--introduction
- Wordsworth, W. (1994). Selected poetry. Oxford University Press.
- Wright, V. (2009, December 23). Like a good neighbor. Bates Magazine. https://www.bates.edu/news/2009/12/23/16173/
How to Cite
Costlow, J. (2022). Words, River, Changes: Writing Lewiston, Maine. Changing Societies & Personalities, 6(2), 254–270. doi:10.15826/csp.2022.6.2.174