Assessment of the Psychological Well-Being of Russian Youth With the PERMA-Profiler
This article presents the results of a survey of the psychological well-being of Russian youth based on the Russian version of the PERMA-Profiler. The survey was conducted at the beginning of 2021 and covered 11,811 respondents (males = 29.2%, females = 70.8%) aged 18–35 (49.2%, aged 18–22; 22.3%, aged 23–30; and 28.5%, aged 31–35) living in the central part of Russia. The survey’s results indicate that the country perform properly in terms of youth well-being. The scores of Russian respondents are significantly higher than the results reported by Butler and Kern for the UK, Greece, Korea, Italy, and the USA in their study of 2016 (this sample is referred to as a total sample). The Russian respondents scored higher compared to the total sample in the scales of Positive emotions and Relationships. The research data show different indicators of well-being in groups differing by gender, age, education, social, marital and parental status, living conditions, and income level. We also found some peculiar age- and gender-related differences regarding well-being in the Russian sample, which also distinguishes it from the total sample. The research results can be used in programs intended to improve the psychological well-being of Russian youth.
- Antonova, N. A., Eritsian, K. Iu., & Tsvetkova, L. A. (2018). Sub’ektivnoe blagopoluchie podrostkov i molodezhi: Kontseptualizatsiia i izmerenie [Subjective well-being of adolescents and youth: Conceptualization and measurement]. Izvestia: Herzen University Journal of Humanities & Sciences, 187, 69–78.
- Ascenso, S., Perkins, R., & Williamon, A. (2018). Resounding meaning: A PERMA wellbeing profile of classical musicians. Frontiers in Psychology, 9, Article 1895. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01895
- Butler, J., & Kern, M. L. (2016). The PERMA-Profiler: A brief multidimensional measure of flourishing. International Journal of Wellbeing, 6(3), 1–48. https://doi.org/10.5502/ijw.v6i3.526
- Bradburn, N. M. (2019). The measurement of psychological well-being. In J. Elinson (Ed.), Health goals and health indicators: Policy, planning, and evaluation (pp. 84–94). https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429050886-6 (Originally published 1977)
- Byzova, V. M., & Perikova, E. I. (2018). Predstavleniia molodezhi o psikhologicheskom blagopoluchii i strategiiakh ego dostizheniia [Representations of young people about psychological well-being and the strategies to achieve it]. Siberian Journal of Psychology, 70, 118–130. https://doi.org/10.17223/17267080/70/9
- Choi, S. P., Suh, C., Yang, J. W., Ye, B. J., Lee, C. K., Son, B. C., & Choi, M. (2019). Korean translation and validation of the workplace positive emotion, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning, and Accomplishment (PERMA)-Profiler. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 31(1), Article e17. https://doi.org/10.35371/aoem.2019.31.e17
- Diener, E., Wirtz, D., Tov, W., Kim-Prieto, C., Choi, D.-W., Oishi, S., & Biswas-Diener, R. (2010). New well-being measures: Short scales to assess flourishing and positive and negative feelings. Social Indicators Research, 97(2), 143–156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-009-9493-y
- Isaeva, O. M., Akimova, A. Yu., & Volkova, E. N. (2022). Oprosnik blagopoluchiia PERMA-Profiler: Aprobatsiia russkoiazychnoi versii [PERMA-Profiler: The approbation of the Russian version]. Social Psychology and Society, 13(3), 116–133. https://doi.org/10.17759/sps.2022130308
- Fredrickson, B. L. (2001). The role of positive emotions in positive psychology: The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions. American Psychologist, 56(3), 218–226. https://doi.org/10.1037//0003-066x.56.3.218
- Galazhinsky, E. V., Bokhan, T. G., Ulianich, A. L., Terekhina, O. V., & Shabalovskaya, M. V. (2019). The connection between subjective well-being and ideas of happiness (the direction of values, intensity of the motivation and ideas about responsibility) among university students. Science for Education Today, 9(6), 19–38. https://doi.org/10.15293/2658-6762.1906.02
- Giangrasso, B. (2021). Psychometric properties of the PERMA-Profiler as hedonic and eudaimonic well-being measure in an Italian context. Current Psychology, 40(3), 1175–1184. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-018-0040-3
- Karapetyan, L. V., & Glotova, G. A. (2018). Issledovanie parametrov emotsional’no-lichnostnogo blagopoluchiia rossiiskikh studentov [Research of parameters of emotional and personal well-being of the Russian students]. Moscow University Psychology Bulletin, 2, 76–88. https://doi.org/10.11621/vsp.2018.02.76
- Leontiev, D. A. (2000). Psikhologiia svobody: K postanovke problemy samodeterminatsii lichnosti [Psychology of freedom: to the formulation of the problem of self-determination of the person]. Psychological Journal, 21(1).
- Meyer, J. P., & Maltin, E. R. (2010). Employee commitment and well-being: A critical review, theoretical framework and research agenda. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 77(2), 323–337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2010.04.007
- Osin, E. N., & Leontiev, D. A. (2020). Kratkie russkoiazychnye shkaly diagnostikisub”ektivnogo blagopoluchiia: psikhometricheskie kharakteristiki i sravnitel’nyi analiz [Brief Russian-language instruments to measure subjective well-being: Psychometric properties and comparative analysis]. Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes, 1, 117–142. https://doi.org/10.14515/monitoring.2020.1.06
- Pezirkianidis, C., Stalikas, A., Lakioti, A., & Yotsidi, V. (2021). Validating a multidimensional measure of well-being in Greece: Translation, factor structure, and measurement invariance of the PERMA Profiler. Current Psychology, 40(6), 3030–3047. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-019-00236-7
- Ryan, J., Curtis, R., Olds, T., Edney, S., Vandelanotte, C., Plotnikoff, R., & Maher, C. (2019). Psychometric properties of the PERMA Profiler for measuring wellbeing in Australian adults. PLoS ONE, 14(12), Article e0225932. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0225932
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American Psychologist, 55(1), 68–78. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68
- Ryan, R., & Deci, E. (2017). Self-determination theory: Basic psychological needs in motivation, development, and wellness. Guilford Press.
- Ryff, C. (2019). Entrepreneurship and eudaimonic well-being: Five venues for new science, Journal of Business Venturing, 34(4), 646–663. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2018.09.003
- Seligman, M. E. P. (2011). Flourishing: A new understanding of happiness and well-being—And how to achieve them. Nicholas Brealey.
- Seligman, M. E. P. (2018). PERMA and the building blocks of well-being. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 13(4), 333–335. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760.2018.1437466
- Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2000). Positive psychology: Anintroduction. American Psychologist, 55(1), 5–14. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5
- Sheldon, K. M., Osin, E. N., Gordeeva, T. O., Suchkov, D. D., & Sychev, O. A. (2017). Evaluating the dimensionality of self-determination theory’s relative autonomy continuum. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 43(9), 1215–1238. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167217711915
- Tsvetkova, L. A., & Antonova, N. A. (2010). Rasprostranennost’ riskovannykh form povedeniia v sfere zdorov’ia sredi studentov mladshikh kursov [Prevalence of health risk behaviours in students]. Vestnik of Saint Petersburg University. Psychology, Sociology. Pedagogy, 4, 83–93.
- Umucu, E., Wu, J.-R., Sanchez, J., Brooks, J. M., Chiu, C.-Y., Tu, W.-M., & Chan, F. (2020). Psychometric validation of the PERMA-profiler as a well-being measure for student veterans. Journal of American College Health, 68(3), 271–277. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2018.1546182