Development of Cooperation in Higher Education in BRICS Countries
As an important component of BRICS cooperation, collaboration in higher education plays a key role in the development and mutual collaboration of the five countries. The purpose of this article is to analyze current cooperation in higher education of BRICS countries. The article selects BRICS Network University, BRICS Universities League and BRICS Summer Program of Fudan University as case studies, to compare and summarize the achievements and the existing problems of these three BRICS higher education projects. The paper discovers that the BRICS education cooperation has great significance to the development of the five countries, and also promotes education in Global South. However, cooperation in higher education is still in its nascent stage and certain aspects need to be improved. At the end, the article gives several suggestions on how to promote and strengthen the cooperation in the future.
- VII BRICS Summit. (2015). Ufa Declaration. Retrieved from http://en.brics2015.ru/load/381158
- Chen, Y. (2013). 金砖国家人才培养的特点及其对我国的启示 [Characteristics of Talents Training in BRICS Countries and its Revelation for China]. 教育发展研究 Research in Educational Development, (3), 73–77.
- Meng, Z. (2017). 促进卓越和公平——第五届金砖国家教育部长会议在京举行 [Promoting Excellence and Equity – the 5th BRICS Education Ministers Meeting]. 神州学人 China Scholars Abroad, (8), 44–47.
- Qin, Y. (2014). 联合国教科文组织支持金砖国家加强教育合作 [UNESCO Supports BRICS Countries in Strengthening Education Cooperation]. 世界教育信息 Journal of World Education, (15), 72–72.
- Schwarzman, S., Pinheiro, R., & Pillay, P. (Eds.). (2015). Higher Education in the BRICS Countries: Investigating the Pact Between Higher Education and Society. New-York, NY: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-94-017-9570-8
- UNESCO. (2014). BRICS: Building Education for the Future: Priorities for National Development and International Cooperation. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/ulis/cgi-bin/ulis.pl?catno=229054&gp=1&mode=e&lin=1
- UNESCO. (2014a). BRICS: Building Education for the Future: Recommendations for Cooperation. Retrieved from https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000229692
- UNESCO. (2016). Education 2030: Incheon Declaration and Framework for Action for the Implementation of Sustainable. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002456/245656E.pdf
- Varghese, N. V. (2015). BRICS and International Collaborations in Higher Education in India. Frontiers of Education in China, 10(1), 46–65. DOI: 10.1007/BF03397052
- Yu Ke, C. Y. (2018). 金砖教育开启第二个金色十年 [BRICS Countries Open up a Second Golden Decade of Education Cooperation]. Retrieved from http://ex.cssn.cn/jyx/jyx_jyqy/201807/t20180723_4507885.shtml