Religious Education Syllabuses for Secondary School Teachers in Zambia: Catholic Missionaries’ Contributions
Though widely acknowledged that the role of teacher training institutions remains crucial in providing an understanding of the educational basis for Religious Education (RE) and in improving the overall quality of provision in schools, both theoretical and empirical exploration of the syllabuses prepared for teachers in Zambian higher education is scanty. Informed by an interpretative case study on the RE syllabus prepared for teachers at Zambia Catholic University (ZCU), the paper argues that by embracing and revising the syllabus from Nkrumah College of Education, ZCU exemplified the stakeholder interest and missionary contributions in safeguarding that which had been envisioned in teacher education.
- Carmody, B. (2004). Religions and Education in Zambia. Ndola: Mission Press.
- Curriculum Development Centre. (2013). The Zambia Education Curriculum Framework. Lusaka: CDC.
- Grimmitt, M. (Ed.). (2010). Religious Education and Social and Community Cohesion: an Exploration of Challenges and Opportunities. McCrimmon Publishing.
- Henze, B. (Ed.). (2007). Some Basics of Religious Education in Zambia. Ndola: Mission Press.
- Hull, J. M. (1991). Mishmash: Religious Education in Multi-Cultural Britain: A Study in Metaphor. Birmingham: University of Birmingham.
- Ministry of Education. (1977). Educational Reforms: Proposals and Recommendations. Lusaka: Government Printers.
- Ministry of Education. (1983). Syllabus for Religious Education in Basic Education. Lusaka: CDC.
- Ministry of Education. (1996). Educating Our Future-National Policy in Education. Lusaka: Government Printers.
- Mudalitsa, J. (2000). Towards a Philosophy of Religious Education. Kabwe, Zambia: RE Section, Nkrumah Teachers College.
- Mudalitsa, J. (2002). Religious Education with a Difference. Ndola: Mission Press.
- Mujdrica, J. (1995). Evaluation of Religious Education. (Unpublished Dissertation). Birmingham: University of Birmingham.
- Mwale, N., Chita, J., & Cheyeka, A. (2014). Accounting for the Shift Towards “Multifaith” Religious Education in Zambia, 1964–2017. Zambia Social Science Journal, 5(2), 37–60.
- Simuchimba, M. (2004). Religious Education in Zambia: Syllabuses, Approaches and Contentious Issues. Zango: Journal of Contemporary Issues, 23(13), 13–21.
- Simuchimba, M. (2005). Religion and Education in Zambia 1890–2000 and Beyond. (Unpublished PhD Thesis). UNISA.
- Teece, G. (2010). Is It Learning About and from Religions, Religion or Religious Education? And Is It Any Wonder Some Teachers Don’t Get It? British Journal of Religious Education, 32(2), 93–103.